Friday, January 30, 2009

The oldies but the goodies

Apparently, there are some stories from my travels that I tell often, due to the peculiarity of events that unfolded, the bizarreness of the situation I found myself in and the insights into the strength and resilience or alternatively the generosity and kindness of people I have met.

I will try to write some of these stories down for posterity.

In no particular order these might include:
  1. The major animal stories of Africa in 1999 featuring zebras, breakfast-stealing baboons, elephants and macaques
  2. Leaving a trail of disaster in my wake while traveling in 1999
  3. The little girl who carried her malnourished baby brother up a hill for 5 hours to reach the clinic in Nepal and then brought him back 1 week later for review
  4. My final walk out from Rukumkot, covered in marigolds and tikka powder, accompanying a seriously ill patient in a thunder storm, hobbling on 2 sticks
  5. My first week in Nigeria contending with a plane crash, a bus crash and a shooting, including many sleepless nights and a helicopter retrieval
  6. Culinary experiences in Vietnam, including silk worms, scorpions, mini-fish on a boat off Phu Quoc, chicken feet and chicken tongues
  7. Humiliations at Erez crossing into Gaza
  8. Carpet buying and a ring in Jerusalem
  9. Burns, hormones, stones and dying in Nepal
  10. Goat head soup
  11. MoPol clearing the road in Nigeria by waving a bazooka
  12. Buying petrol in Gaza
  13. Checkpoints, suicides and trauma in Sri Lanka
There are more and I may well just copy/paste bits of old emails into this forum just because I have already written them....

1 comment:

MentalOxide said...

AWESOME STEPH!!!
Great work putting this together, makes me want to start mine up again. Beautiful writing by the way, and some touching stories, especially the one about the Nepalese girl. I'm putting this is my favourites.

Take care, still thinking of you.

Antony